"The first of April, some do say,
Is set apart for All Fool's Day.
But why the people call it so,
Nor I, nor they themselves do know.
But on this day are people sent
On purpose for pure merriment."
`Poor Robin's Almanac 1790
Joke for the day
Q: Why are people so tired on April 1st?
A: Because they just finished a 31-day March!
Giggles and groans escaped my children over the years as I "tricked" them on this fun day.
Try a few of the following to get a few giggles and groans of your own!
1. Choose a bright color of food coloring to add to the milk. Buy milk in a cardboard carton this
week so no one can see inside. Make sure you are around when the first glass is poured!
OR... pour a glass of milk and then add chocolate/strawberry syrup or food coloring to the milk, but do not stir it! Let the kids guess what kind of milk they have.
(You can do the same thing with play dough. Leave it white after you make it. Roll into balls and then insert a small drop of food coloring into the center of each ball. As the children squeeze, push and pull the play dough, SURPRISE! the color appears!)
2. Serve lunch or dinner in reverse order, the dessert first, then the main dish and last serve the
Mix up the dishes... main course in a dessert cup, soup in a glass etc.
3. Wear your clothes inside out and/or backwards OR for the opposite season
4. Tape the silverware to the table...upside down!
5. Give everyone a plate with different designs (from different sets of dishes)
6. Use mismatched paper plates, eating utensils, and cups
7. Buy realistic-looking toy plastic flies and strategically hide them in breakfast, lunch or dinner
meals. Drop a plastic bug into their glass of juice or milk
8. Make ice cubes that have a plastic bug frozen inside
9. Use small glass jars for drinking glasses
10. Have a "flour" center piece (5# of flour) it the center of your table.
Use a pillowcase for your tablecloth or table runner.
11. Give everyone a different chair at the table
12. Drop an invitation in lunch boxes, cereal boxes, book bags etc. inviting your family to dinner.
Write all the words written backwards so they have to be read in the mirror.
13. Bugs on a Log: celery stalks filled with peanut butter, cream cheese or cheese.
Place raisins on top for "ants".
14. Beef Cake or cupcakes- A tasty way to fool your family is to make April Fool's Day dishes that
deceive the eye and palate. Make the meatloaf in a round pan or muffin tin with cupcake liners.
"Ice" with mashed potatoes. Garnish with carrot curls or strips for candles and steamed
vegetables. Peas make pretty decorations.
15. Big FootAt dinner the night before April Fool's Day, introduce your kids to a new vegetable and tell
them if they eat it, they will wake up bigger and stronger. (If your kids have never eaten Brussels
sprouts, this is the perfect time to serve it.) When they go to sleep, stuff the toes of their shoes
with cotton or newspaper and, if possible, swap out their jeans and shirts with clothing a size too
small. You can also have your kids do this to your spouse's shoes and clothing for some extra
16. For your fruit-loving kids, core an apple and insert a dark-colored gummy worm.
Cherrios. Put them in an envelope and on your computer create a picture of donuts with the title
of "donut seeds" at the top.
18. Glue Googly Eyes to the food in the refrigerator or
on the toiletry products in the bathroom (shampoo, toothpaste, etc.)
You could also use a Sharpie and draw faces on all the food cartons.
photo source: http://lolsnaps.com/news/42722/0/
19. If the drawers in you chest of drawers are interchangeable, move them around.
20. You’ll have to hold back giggles when you watch your family trying to take a sip of this gelled
juice. Angle the straw for a much more believable “drink,” but you could also
set the Jell-O in a large pitcher and watch various members of your family hilariously try to pour
themselves a cup. Get the recipe for Undrinkable Juice
21. Use a small post-it note and place it under the computer mouse (covering the ball on the
bottom). When they go to use the mouse, it won't do anything! Remember to write "April Fool!"
on the bottom!